What we believe
What we believe
Let us guide you in your journey to finding God.
Questions of the Faith
Questions about finding God are a key way to explore and grow in faith. While a statement of faith is useful to some, questions and answers can be a simpler way of understanding what we believe. Below are questions people regularly ask about the Mennonite Brethren and our faith in Jesus. Over the coming weeks and months we’ll be adding answers to each of these questions.
- Who is Jesus?
- Why should Jesus matter to me?
- Who is God?
- Why Does God care for me?
- What is sin?
- How does sin impact me?
- What is the solution to sin?
- What does ‘following Jesus’ mean?
- What is a disciple?
- What is the church?
- Why would I want to go to church? (thinking here.. we don’t GO to church…we are the church)
- How can I believe in God when the whole world is so messed up?
- Is God still at work?
- What does it mean to be Christian?
- What does it mean to be Mennonite Brethren?
- Don’t all religions lead to the same God?
- Why does God allow suffering?
As a church we are a part of the Mennonite Brethren community of churches in Canada. We have a shared Confession of Faith that shows our desire to center our lives on Christ, be accountable to scripture, and be guided by the Holy Spirit. This confession of faith gives us guidelines in how we interpret scripture and it guides our teaching. Below is a short overview of the confession of faith, and in the right column are links to more detailed versions.
The MB Confession of Faith
We believe in God as eternal Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God created and sustains the universe. The eternal purpose of God the Father is to create a people who will bring glory to God forever. God alone is worthy of worship. We believe that God became human in Jesus Christ. Jesus came to restore the world because humans have rejected God in disobedience. Jesus taught and modeled the way of God’s kingdom. He died on the cross, making it possible for us to accept a renewed relationship with God. He rose from the dead, broke the power of sin and death, and frees us to live in obedience to God’s will. We believe that God the Holy Spirit invites all people to be reconciled with God and to join the global family of faith. Believers confess their faith, are baptized, and join in the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. Through the power of the Holy Spirit and guided by the Bible, members of the church seek to live as followers of Christ and invite others to experience this new life. As Christians, we are called to turn:
- from ignorance of God to a personal relationship with God
- from bondage of sin and past mistakes to freedom, forgiveness, and healing
- from individualism to interdependence with others in the local church
- from lifestyle choices that harm us, others, and the earth to choices that nurture wholeness, healing, joy, and peace
- from hating enemies and ignoring neighbours to showing love and justice to all
- from loving possessions to sharing with all in need
- from aimless existence to a mission of representing and proclaiming God’s kingdom on earth
As Christians, we look forward to the day when God will once again send Jesus to bring all things under God’s eternal rule.
For those looking for a more detailed statement of faith, both the brief and detailed versions of the MB Statement of Faith are found in the right column under resources.
Next Elders Meeting
Nothing from Mon Jul 26 to Tue Oct 26.