“Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!” Luke 24:5-6
I pray that as you read this month’s update, you’re also preparing your hearts for Easter. This week (March 28th & 30th) the ESL classes will celebrate Easter as the following week the schools are still on spring break so I won’t have classes. Please pray for the students this week and that they will truly understand the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for our salvation. Some students at Fujigaoka watched ‘The Passion of the Christ’ and saw what Jesus went through in his final days on earth. It had a deep impact on those who attended and I pray that their hearts will now be open to receiving Jesus.
At the beginning of March, I went to Nosegawa Bible Camp (outside of Osaka) and joined with other Multiply workers: Cory & Masami Giesbrecht, Doris Goertz, Bob Davis (Regional Team Leader) and Dave Sinclair-Peters (Regional Coach), along with the Nukagas & Hamanas. It was the first time we’ve been together since I came back , and the first time for Bob & Dave to visit Japan. As well, Kashima sensei and his 2 daughters came to Nosegawa and we had a great visit. Just last week, I was able to see most of the group from Nosegawa again in Thailand at the Asia Summit. Both of these times together were such a blessing, especially the summit, where I was so happy to see Daniel & Lorinda Lichty and Jeff & Heather Friesen from the Abbotsford office. Such a surprise to walk into the meeting room and see these friendly faces and it brought tears of joy to my eyes. The summit was so encouraging as we all shared testimonies, prayed for one another and the nations where we serve, and sang worship songs in English which was so refreshing to my soul. Thank you for your prayers for all of those in attendance.
On March 26th it was the last Sunday for Hattori sensei to preach as the lead pastor for Fujigaoka Christ Church. I was able to attend and hear his message and to get a quick photo with Taeko san and Hattori sensei (then I had to quickly drive to Komaki Hope Chapel where I was having movie ‘afternoon’ with some of the students). Please continue to pray for the Hattoris as they wrap up their service with the Fujigaoka ESL classes at the end of April. After 19 years, it will be very sad for many students to say goodbye to them, as well as for me because Taeko san has been the backbone for the children’s classes through translation and doing chapel time. It will be an adjustment for all of us, but I am looking forward to having some of the other church members helping out in the classes beginning in May. This will be a great opportunity for students to meet more church members and hopefully feel comfortable enough to start attending Sunday service!
I had a message from Rikako last week regarding her husband, Tatsuji, whom we have been praying for. She said he had been back in the hospital for a week and she was not sure if he would be coming back home or if he would remain in the hospital. Please continue to pray for them and that they would both come to know the Lord. Pray for peace and for comfort as they walk on this journey.
A few items of prayer and praise:
- Pray for Yamamoto sensei & Yuka san as they prepare to move and begin pastoring at Fujigaoka Christ Church on April 2nd. Pray for them as they look for a home near the church and move from Osaka.
- Pray for Marianne Bohr as she mourns the loss of her son, Tim, who passed away suddenly on March 14th. Pray for peace & comfort for the family as they celebrate his life on March 31st.
- Pray for me as I share in chapel time this week at both churches. Please pray for the Easter story to have an impact on all of the students and that their hearts will be open to receiving Jesus.
- Praise the Lord for the Asian Summit last week. It was so wonderful to meet up with fellow workers once again and to be lifted up by their stories. Pray for all of us as we continue to minister to those who are still living in darkness…may we be beacons of light.
- Praise the Lord for my son, Trevor and his partner, Courtney, who are expecting a baby in late June/early July. Please also pray for a healthy pregnancy and easy delivery for Courtney.
- Praise God from whom all blessings flow…we sing this song every week in church in Japanese and I’m am so grateful to be able to serve in Japan on your behalf. Thank you!
Wishing you and your families a very blessed and Happy Easter. JESUS IS RISEN!!
Blessings & love,