SKMB is the Saskatchewan ministry arm of the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Thank you for allowing me to share some highlights of SKMB’s purpose and ministry with you. You are an important and valuable member of the SKMB family which has as its purpose Supporting SKMB Churches and Camps in Making Disciples. In general, the work of SKMB pertains to missional inspiration, legal/financial assistance, theological accountability, pastoral support, leadership development and ministry resources. We also assist with church conflict resolution and church health.
Thank you for your faithful support through words, prayers and financial gifts.
The following are several items of note regarding the current work of the Conference. If you are interested in learning more about any of these resources, programs or events, please go to skmb.ca or email me at .
- Wellness In A COVID World – (September 30 and October 1). These Zoom seminars were focused on helping ministry leaders navigate their personal wellbeing during the pandemic. Rod Wilson and Bonita Eby were the facilitators. The seminars were record and are available for use with your leadership teams. There are also additional resources available on our website.
- Leaders Collective – Late applications are still being accepted for the 2020 – 2021 Leaders Collective training. The purpose of this training is to enhance the leadership capacity of young adults (22+).
- Discipleship Coach – Luke has created the “Pastor to Pastor” video series featuring our own workers here in Saskatchewan. The intent of the videos is to inspire and encourage ministry leaders during COVID. Go to our website.
- Pastor Clusters – Five in-person clusters for our planters, pastors, chaplains and directors took place October 20 – 22. The purpose of these clusters is to offer support and encouragement through sharing, prayer and fellowship.
- Pastoral Vacancies – Grace Community Church (Herbert).
- SKMB Ministry Vacancies – We continue to search for one more member for our Executive Team. Specifically, we are hoping someone with legal training. However, we welcome people with other gifting to consider a role on the team. If the Lord is calling you to serve in this capacity, please contact me for ministry details at . Our current Executive Board members include Gwen Machnee (Canora) – moderator, Jeff Siemens (Saskatoon) – assistant moderator, Gord Schroeder (Saskatoon) – secretary and Dave Foth (Saskatoon).
- Financial Picture – The third quarter financial update reported that we are experiencing a significant shortfall in church giving. We trust this is an aberration and not a pattern or indicative of something truly amiss in the Conference’s work. Go to our website and review the update for the details.
- Leadership Forum – This year’s event is planned for Saturday November 14 and slated to be virtual. Two major items on the agenda will be discussion regarding the Common Understandings and Common Covenant document, a bylaw amendment pertaining to SKMB and church property ownership, and the 2021 budget. These documents should be forwarded by the end of October. Also, Bruce Enns from Forest Grove community Church will be providing training on the subject of “Discipleship ecosystems”.
- National Scene – With the adoption of the new governance model, CCMBC’s bylaws require amendments. CCMBC is inviting SKMB member churches to bring their voice to the bylaws at one of two virtual Town Hall events. The link to register and the docs: https://www.mennonitebrethren.ca A national townhall about the bylaws will take place November 16th.
- Spring 2021 – The Church Multiplication Team is looking to offer a training time for church and camp leaders titled: Healthy Leaders, Healthy Churches/Camps.
- Invitation – I am available to meet with your leadership team. This is a great way for me to share about the work of the Conference and to hear about ministry in your context.
- Staying In-Touch – Any member of the SKMB family can stay up-to-date with the mission and ministry of the Conference through our website (skmb.ca), Facebook (SK Mennonite Brethren), bi-monthly digital newsletter, Praise & Prayer notices, Quarterly Financial Updates, special emails and monthly videos.
Once again, thank you for your faithful support.
Director of Ministry